So in other words, English sounds like Bob Dylan to the rest of the world???
What does English sound like to foreign ears?
We’ve all heard examples of fake Chinese or German from speakers who lack familiarity with either language. While typically cringe-worthy, these examples do raise interesting questions regarding our own language. What does English sound like to non-English speakers? After more than 40 years, Adriano Celentano’s “Prisencolinensinainciusol” remains one of the most illuminating examples.
The entire song is nonsense verse, neither English nor Italian, but the sounds are meant to resemble English. Linguist Mark Liberman wrote an interesting post about this sort of thing over at Language Log discussing yaourter, the French word for an attempt to speak or sing in a foreign language that one doesn’t know all that well. This often involves trying to sing a foreign song with nonsense or random words filling in the blanks. Liberman shares this wonderful quote from a random Internet user:
Just for the story, in France, when we don’t speak English and we want to imitate the sound, we call it “yaourter”(to yoghourt), the imitation sounds like a very nasal language, kind of like a baby crying. It mostly imitates the “cowboy” accent.
I love this, I didn’t realize it until I saw the video that we sounded so awesome
also be aware that this is also an american sounding accent and british english would sound as different as it does to them as it does to us
This is amazing…I’ve always wondered what English would sound like!
song full of swagger
This is so fascinating!
This is fascinating. My brain keeps trying to make sense of it and it’s SO WEIRD.
I’ve always wondered what English sounds like, and I’m almost disappointed that it sounds…. exactly like English?
Because to me this sounds exactly like listening to a song in English where I keep missing what the lyrics are. My brain is convinced it’s words I’m just not making out. (Apart from the parts where my brain does make out words that are not actually there.)
(via liveindirt)Source: blogs.howstuffworks.com
- viridianbliss reblogged this from biffan
- yondaanaconda likes this
- thoughtsfromthewindowsill reblogged this from amummy
- skinsandsupernatural likes this
- artiestroke likes this
- daftguy likes this
- thecheshiregodcat reblogged this from enigmaticartificer
- ragadoo likes this
- nancat likes this
- trollypop666 likes this
- enigmaticartificer reblogged this from maid-of-space04
- mimirshead reblogged this from icetigris
- chuuroo reblogged this from amummy
- shadowphen likes this
- shadowphen reblogged this from relhatetionship
- relhatetionship reblogged this from maid-of-space04
- tin-can likes this
- maid-of-space04 likes this
- maid-of-space04 reblogged this from chaosunit0010
- xxtime-freezerxx likes this
- the-last-living-girl reblogged this from flipoffmalfunction
- the-last-living-girl likes this
- multi-bear likes this
- vieri-de-bitch-face reblogged this from chesterintravenous
- diaryofthreetheaternerds likes this
- vieri-de-bitch-face likes this
- chesterintravenous reblogged this from icetigris
- chesterintravenous likes this
- zeico likes this
- onceuponaperigee likes this
- antagonistintent likes this
- pathopharmacology likes this
- ethelinda likes this
- burntelsens reblogged this from amummy
- burntelsens likes this
- icetigris reblogged this from airred and added:
- misskatiepowers reblogged this from hoshikostar
- soihylmz likes this
- pretzelski likes this
- 20-shot-sequence likes this
- missnk likes this
- escl likes this
- airred reblogged this from flipoffmalfunction
- writerhartgirl122 likes this
- doctorprofessorgatsby reblogged this from amummy
- airred likes this
- chaosunit0010 reblogged this from amummy
- chaosunit0010 likes this
- hoshikostar reblogged this from amummy
- flipoffmalfunction reblogged this from amummy